Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 59

Thread: Games: Star Ocean 3 [!OT]

  1. #31
    HB Forum Owner mrwiseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,915
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't think it has a bad story, it's more like average. You're just too used to Xeno-grade stuff .

    Reviewing the girls after what I've played:

    Sophia: Personality: All-nice and supporting, perhaps a little on the boring side at first. Looks: Cute and great ass (and as with real life girls, jeans were the best). Extras: Yakusoku girl bonus (i.e. I'm meant to be with her).

    Nel: Personality: Strong, very mature, practical, and serious when the time needs be, albeit on the religious side. Looks: Hotness and the best clothes too. Extras: If girls serving a religious leader/regime looked like Nel, Farleen, or Thynave(sp?), I wouldn't mind telling everyone I'm religious to get in.

    Maria: Personality: Cold, logical, and hardly forgiving; three less common features I've learnt to appreciate - especially because she'd expect myself to be the same and I am. I like her. Looks: Good in every department; not particularly awesome in any, but a good overall chick-I'd-hit look. Extras: See below.

    *STAR OCEAN 3 SPOILER*

    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?

    I was hoping she would be Fayt's sister or genetical sister or something like that after their similarity and condition; that'd have been an extra for incest morbo, but now that I know she isn't I guess she doesn't have any extras.

    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?

    *EOS*

    Overall: 1. Nel 2. Sophia 3. Maria, that's how I like them for now. (In case you are wondering, Peppita is too young to be hittable by my standards ).

    But like I said, the hottest girl in the game is Welch. She has Shion's ass for goddess' sake. http://web.madritel.es/personales1/cmpm/ha.jpg .

    <font color="#345E81" size="1">[ March 19, 2005 02:22 PM: Message edited by: -Wiseman- ]</font>

  2. #32
    Inactive Member Xhell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21st, 2004
    Posts
    520
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    yeah, Pepitta by no means can be classed as a "hittable" character.
    but yeah Welch confused me, i mean yeah she's the best female character in the game......but what kind of a name is Welch?? seems similar to the sound you get when you stick your foot into a bag of mud.

  3. #33
    Senior Hostboard Member Cataferal's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2003
    Posts
    3,403
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    IRT Wiseman with regards to the story - Your right there, actually. Maybe my standards are too high, and i was expecting too much of this game since everything else had extremely high production values.

  4. #34
    Inactive Member Xellos's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,598
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    It's not really a decent story, IMO. The characters are pretty bad, only a fw get any backstory, and even less actually have character development, the sotry was ok until the twist, which dragged it down further, but not as much as some would exaggerate.

  5. #35
    Senior Hostboard Member Cataferal's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2003
    Posts
    3,403
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I agree entirely with that post. The story was average as it was, and was actually starting to get really interesting at one stage, but when that twist hit, it really reduced what it had strived to build up.

  6. #36
    HB Forum Owner mrwiseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,915
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    *STAR OCEAN 3 MAJOR SPOILER*

    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?

    My position is that I still like the idea that the RPG you've been playing is actually an RPG of the real world in that game, it has the con of being too much like Matrix which sucks mightily, but but the pro that it has never been done, and it has a lot of potential for character development, and even more if you try to connect this inside RPG with what we know of MMORPGs.

    However, I think they had a better thing going on - without the twist, the idea of having a four-dimensional god that created the universe to defeat was better.

    Furthermore, the game always lacked some character development and background, and they could have had more of the first with more choices and making them matter in the cutscenes, not just in the ending.

    Finally, I think they won't be exploiting the new twist either. Like I said, this still has a lot of potential, even more than the creator thing if used properly. What are the characters thinking? How do they feel about the Milky Way now that they know it's simulated? Do they still care? What do they think of themselves? And what do they think of their creators? Do they feel equals with them? Will they have any personality crisis after finding out this? Etc. They could have had two hours of cut-scenes related to this. And judging for what I'm seeing, they haven't done any, the characters just go on without thinking about it (and possibly not caring much either).

    Overall I still think it's a decent story (average), but a story that could have been better, or could have been much better exploited. The character development is below average.

    ?
    ?
    ?

    **

  7. #37
    HB Forum Owner mrwiseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,915
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    *BUMP*

  8. #38
    Inactive Member crazyelf's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    132
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    the story was average. when i got to the plot twist, i kinda cringed, but then i got used to it. probably the main reason i like the game is the battles, i love real time, and the battling can get really fast and hectic which is fun. the worst character is adray--i hate how he barges into your party, plus he runs slow. roger was pretty annoying, but when i play against him in the battle part, he kicks my ass. maria is a great fighter, but she runs slow. sophia can kick ass if you play her right. the first time i played through, i used her all the time.
    the sphere building was fun to fight through.
    cliff-hot
    albel-hmm, i guess he's hot in a girly way
    fayt-cute
    adray-ok for an old guy, too muscular tho
    roger-dumb, cute for a pet though

    i played the shit out of this game, i opened up 85% of battle trophies lol, just so i could open cliff's fourth outfit, ( i know, im crazy).
    i love star ocean, so maybe thats why i think this game is really good. i thought the charcters were pretty good, they each have their personalities come through in the game.

  9. #39
    HB Forum Owner mrwiseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,915
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My game stalled when I got to the awesome place after the big twist - the one with the minigames. I had work to do, and haven't gone back to the game yet, even though I was/am liking it. I'll try to play tomorrow.

  10. #40
    Senior Hostboard Member Cataferal's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2003
    Posts
    3,403
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I liked the game. While i wouldnt call it a masterpiece i still found that it was epic enough to make it memorable. I do wish they'd reconsidered that plot twist though, it could have been something special.
    And dammit! I missed out completely on battle trophies. They didnt say a thing about it at the beginning, which, as it happens, is the only time you can pick up the function. Tri-Ace should have thought this through a little more.

    <font color="#345E81" size="1">[ March 20, 2005 07:33 PM: Message edited by: Cataferal ]</font>

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •